When Warner Bros. and Christopher Nolan announced on January 19, 2011 that Anne Hathaway was being cast as Selina Kyle aka Catwoman for the next round of Dark Knight movies, I was ecstatic! Some say that she will not pull off this role, just like everyone thought that Heath Ledger wasn’t going to be able to pull off the Joker. We see that Nolan obviously has a good eye for people for the roles for these movies. Anne Hathaway has never really been known as an “athletic” actor, however she has always nailed every role she has taken on. Although there were plenty of actresses that would have fit this role just as well as Hathaway, such as Charisma Carpenter, Kate Beckinsale and even Jessica Beil. But either the actresses are too old, to girl next door or just plan not fit for the role. Hathaway has proven time and time again that she can in fact pull of a diverse array of roles.
The general consensus I have come across is that she is not athletic, she’s “too sweet” says Michal R. on Facebook. Some people that she has that Classic look, and others think that there will be too many stunt doubles with horrible screen shots. Here are a couple of points I have discussed with others about the pros and cons of Anne Hathaway portraying Catwoman.
- “She’s an improvement over Katie Holmes” – Michael R. via FB
- “She’s sophisticated, elegant even for the role” James M. via FB
- “Anne Hathaway, if she nails it, it will be that much more impressive. And I wouldn’t worry about the stunts looking bad.” – Michael R. via FB
- “I think maybe Ann Hathaway ACTS like a nice girl. Maybe this is going to be awesome – when she turns bad AND sexy?” – Morgen R. via FB
- Cat Woman should be both an actress and an athlete, not just a pretty face. I don’t think Anna Hathaway has any experience with stunts. Doesn’t mean she couldn’t do a lot of training, but they’d be better off starting with an actress that can do more than look good in a princess gown. Wallace N. via FB’
Christopher Nolan seems to know what he’s talking about though, look at Heath Ledger as the Joker! Anne Hathaway has demonstrated herself to have the ability to play Catwoman on several varieties of occasions, being able to tap into different dimensions of her characters, losing herself into her characters as neurotic as some of her roles have been. Although Rachel Getting Married was a flawed movie with a great performance, perhaps Nolan saw in that Oscar nomination grittiness the former Princess was able to bring to make for a promising investment for his vision.